The original farm homestead of Grasmere Station remains the heart of Grasmere Lodge.
It was built in 1858, and was essentially a timber slab hut then, built from beech logs hewn on the property. Luckily much of the history has been recorded and preserved.
The two distinctive limestone chimneys at the front of the house date from 1872 when the first bride arrived at the property, and the house was enlarged.
After several owners, David McLeod and his wife Mary took over the farm in 1930, and tales of their hospitality over the next 48 years are still told.